Last modified: May 11, 2018
to Ratemyagent.com Pty Ltd (ABN 46 169 103 299) trading as ratemyagent.com, and "Services" refers to materials and services delivered on or through the website located at the domain name www.ratemyagent.com.au, social media web pages and smart phone applications operated by RMA (with ratemyagent.com.au, each related website and each smart phone application to be known as the "Site").
- Our commitment to your privacy
RMA provides a Service which allows you to provide feedback or commentary on real estate agents and real estate agencies listed on the Site, and for real estate agents and agencies to respond to feedback and manage and utilise their online profiles.
RMA takes your privacy seriously, and are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), and the Australian Privacy Principles under that Act, and any other applicable laws relating to privacy when handling personal information (together, "Australian Privacy Law").
- Information we collect
We will only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for us to provide you with the Services, or which is directly related to our provision of the Services.
The personal information which RMA collects depends on the nature of your relationship with us.
If you are an agent, we collect information such as your name, the name of the agency you work for, your contact numbers and address, email address, profile photo, property listing details, images of properties you have sold, your sales history, credit card or direct debit details (if you purchase a subscription from us) and payment details.
If you post a review on the Site, we collect information such as your name, email address, username, password, property address, image of the property, and sale price.
Other information we collect includes information that you post on our Sites or provide through our social media channels, and records of our communications with you, including any complaints, requests or queries.
RMA may collect personal information directly from you, from third parties you have authorised to provide us with such information, or who provide services to us ("Service Providers"), or alternatively through publicly available sources. Where an agent provides us with information about their vendors for testimonial purposes, we will only use that information in the way authorised by the agent (who must have the vendors' consent).
When you access a Site via a browser or application, our servers may record certain information, including your IP address, web request, GPS locations, session IDs of your interaction with a Service, browser type, browser language, and the date and time of your request.
We will, if practicable, allow you to use a pseudonym or to not identify yourself unless this is impractical or against the law (including the Australian Privacy Law).
- How we use your information
We collect personal information for the purpose of:
- providing you with information, products or Services;
- personalising, customising and improving your experience with our Site;
- direct marketing;
- communicating with you by various means;
- the general management and conduct of our business; and
- complying with our legal obligations.
We may also use personal information for related purposes that would be reasonably expected by you.
We may also use your personal information for direct marketing purposes in order to tell you about services and offers that we think may be of interest to you. If we use data about agents or reviewers and how they use our Site to market the Site and Services to the public, we will only use aggregated information on a purely anonymous basis. You can opt out of marketing activities at any time by using the link on the emails we send you or via email@example.com.
We may also collect information about you and how you interact with our Site, by using or storing "cookies" on your computer, phone, tablet or other device. You can delete cookies from your device at any time via your internet browser. However, doing so may limit your use of some of the Site's features.
RMA uses Google Adwords to promote the Site and advertise on third party websites. Third party vendors, including Google may use your cookies to serve ads based on your past visits to the Site. Should you wish to opt out of Google's use of your cookies please visit www.google.com/settings/ads.
- Sharing your information
We will only disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- when we have your consent;
- to third parties and Service Providers where necessary for us to provide our Services to you, or where you have expressly asked us to disclose your personal information for the purposes of them or us providing further Services;
- to banks, payment processors or other payment service providers;
- to our related bodies corporate, and their respective directors, officers, agents, and employees for the purpose of providing the Services and for our internal business purposes;
- to Service Providers located outside Australia. We use a network of global third party Service Providers to maintain the high quality of our Services. Some of our Service Providers, or the services they provide (like cloud-based storage solutions), are based outside of Australia. This could include the Philippines and places in, Europe, Asia and the US. In order to protect your information, we take care where possible to work with Service Providers who we consider maintain acceptable standards of data security compliance, and we do our part to meet those standards as they apply to RMA; and
- as required or permitted by law. If you opt in to receive marketing email communications from us, these will be sent to you directly by RMA or on our behalf. We will only send communications to people who have opted to receive them. You can unsubscribe from receiving these communications at any time by using the link on the emails we send you or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If RMA goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your personal information may be among the assets transferred.
- How we store and protect your information
We take reasonable precautions to protect the personal information we hold about you from misuse, loss and unauthorised access or disclosure.
While we take all due care in ensuring the privacy and security of your personal information, the possibility exists that this information could be unlawfully intercepted while in transit over the internet or while stored on our systems or on our Site. Subject to our Terms and Conditions, we disclaim all liability to you to the greatest extent permitted by law should this occur.
If you cease to use our Services, RMA may retain your personal information to comply with its record keeping obligations under law. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
- How you may access and correct your information
You may ask us to provide access to the personal information we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions under the Australian Privacy Law. For your protection, we may require you to confirm your identity before access to your personal information is granted. In most cases, we can provide you with a summary of your personal information free of charge. However, in some circumstances, reasonable costs may be charged to you in accessing your personal information.
It is your responsibility to advise us of any changes to your personal information, to ensure that it is up to date, relevant and of an appropriate quality to enable us to provide our Services to you. If you have registered an account via the Site, you can update your personal information via your account's profile settings.
If you do not have a registered account, or would like our assistance to update your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
If you have a question or want to make a complaint about how we handle your personal information, please contact us using the details below. We will review your complaint, and will respond to you after we have carefully considered it. We may require further information from you in order to resolve any complaints.
- Links to other websites
- Contact us
If you have a question or want to make a complaint about how we handle your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. Your queries, requests and/or complaints will be dealt with as soon as possible by our privacy officer (in most cases within 14 business days).
Alternatively, any person may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or postal address at:
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
For more information about privacy issues in Australian and protecting your privacy, visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website at www.oaic.gov.au.